Nothing Else Matters - Metallica 3:05 AM


Wednesday Recap!

The NBA has banned racist L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling . . . FOR LIFE . . . just three days after the audio tapes of him saying all kinds of bigoted garbage to his girlfriend leaked online.  In a press conference yesterday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver said the league had confirmed that the voice on the tapes IS Sterling . . . and stated that the comments he made were, quote, "deeply offensive and harmful."  He added, quote, "Effective immediately, I am banning Mr. Sterling, for LIFE, from any association with the Clippers organization or the NBA.  Mr. Sterling may NOT attend any NBA games or practices - "He may not be present at any Clippers facility, and he may not participate in any business or player personnel decisions involving the team.  He will also be barred from attending NBA [owner] meetings, or participating in any other league activity."  Silver also announced that he's fining Sterling $2.5 million . . . "the maximum amount allowed under the NBA Constitution."  That money will be donated to organizations dedicated to anti-discrimination efforts.  But Silver doesn't have the authority to revoke Sterling's ownership of the team.  Only a three-fourths vote by the other owners can do that.  That's 23 of the other 29 owners.  Silver said he's personally "urging" the owners to, quote, "exercise their authority to force a sale of the team."  He added, quote, "And [I'll] do anything in my power to ensure that that happens.”  Sterling hasn't commented himself, but BEFORE Silver's press conference, he reportedly told Jim Gray of Fox News that he has NO intention of selling the team.  Gray says Sterling told him, "The team is NOT for sale.  I will NOT be selling the team." 


Nerds in the news SPOILER ALERT!  They're killing off Wolverine.  It's not a big secret.  We had our pal Larry from Larry's Comics on to chat, and did a little impromptu "Are You Smarter than a Comic Book Nerd?"


Nothing in the laws of physics says this should've worked . . . but we love that it did.  A man in his 30s was driving across a bridge near Pimlico, South Carolina on Monday . . . when he saw about a 15- to 20-foot section of the bridge was missing.  Turns out it had just collapsed.  He had to make a split-second decision what to do . . . either jam on the brakes, or try to jump it, "Dukes of Hazzard" style.  And because this guy is badass, he chose option B.  He jammed on the gas . . . and somehow managed to jump the hole and land safely on the other side.  There was no ramp, and we have no idea how he succeeded . . . but it's a good thing he did.  If his jump had failed, he would've fallen 25 feet onto some railroad tracks and been seriously injured or killed. 


A lot of you got all crabby when we started the discussion on ASMR this morning, but many of you were curious to know where the audio clips we played came from.  So, without further ado, here are a few of my favorite ASMR videos.  I challenge you to throw on some headphones set on a medium volume, and TRY not to fall asleep.  (Need to wear headphones though, that is key.)

The one with the crinkles:

The one with the makeup:

The one with the kissy noises:

The one with the cookie (that sounds dirty...):

Here's our conversation:


Some other things we discussed today:

A new law could force Spanish teens to do their chores.

There is only 88% meat in your meat.  Yes.  In your meat.  Here's the other 12%.  

These three were arrested for twerking outside City Hall?  For shame.  


(Photos:  Washington County Jail)



Facts Schmacts


Shawn Thornton of the Boston Bruins will join us tomorrow for THURSDAYS WITH THORTY at 8:15!