While I sit in my office and ponder whether you or I would have been charged with driving to endanger if the State Police found that we were going 108 miles an hour at 5:26 in the morning….here are the five songs that may have been playing on Lt. Governor Tim Murray’s radio on that fateful morning in Sterling when he “fell asleep”:
5) Bob Marley “One Cup of Coffee”. When Marley sings “one cup of coffee and then I’ll go”, you just imagine how fine a brew it is that makes a man drive miles out of his way to enjoy it.
4) Golden Earring “Radar Love”. “The road has got me hypnotized and I’m speeding into a new sunrise”. Certainly a buck oh eight qualifies as speeding into the sunrise, right?
3) Sammy Hagar “I Can’t drive 55”. It’s 5am. You’re the Lieutenant Governor. You’ve got places to go and people to see and silly speed limits just aren’t your thing.
2) AC/DC “Black Ice”. Remember how Tim Murray told us at the press conference it was the “black ice”? Remember how the responding trooper said it was so bad, he slipped when he got out of the cruiser? Do you think they may have been fibbing? “Black ice, end of it all. End of the line. End of the road. Black Ice”
1) Judas Priest “Breaking the Law”. I think this one covers just about all of it. No seatbelt. Doing 108 miles an hour while surveying storm damage. Sleeping at the wheel. Never once hit the brakes as you careen off the highway. I think there was more than one law that was broken by our Lieutenant Governor that morning, don’t you?
Feel free to submit your own song suggestion and we’ll get Tim Murray an Ipod, so he doesn’t fall asleep next time he’s driving one of our vehicles.